Sunday, April 17, 2016

Making up for lost time.

Okay, I know, I'm a terrible person, I skipped last week. My excuse, I was working on writing instead of blogging.



It's workshop time in my literary fiction class, and I've been working on helping everyone else out so much in class that I left out time for my adoring fans (pst, I mean you. Hey, where are you going?!). So, I apologize, but I finally have work to show you.

So my story I've been working on in class has been through some ups and downs, I have a couple other pieces I've sketched out, but need to go through some drafting processes to flesh them out and get them ready. But as for now, I have one lean mean story ready to rock. I'll post it next week if no further progress is made elsewhere.

Furthermore, on the To Slice The Sky front, I finally finished chapter 5's rewrite. And rewrite it was. I ended up writing in a new scene to replace boring ass exposition, and I realized that the 120 page chapter I had originally divided into 3 parts, has now become 4 parts. I may be shrinking down a lot of chapters in the future as well, and I know I have one complete rewrite of a scene coming up in the not too distant future as well as closer to the end.

I've written dozens of shorts, and I've written a few novellas, but I've never done a rewrite on a project this big. Writing a novel really is a whole different beast, and I feel that breaking it down into smaller parts is the whole way to do it without going crazy. Just thinking of writing out 300 pages worth of crap itself is a huge task. And then you have to chop it up and put it in an order that makes sense to other people and not just the fever dream it was when crapped into this world. I'm just hoping I can keep focused and actually have a 2016 release like I was hoping. We're already halfway through April and I'm still rewriting act one. How ambitious I was in January. At least work is getting done, and I'm not putting it off for a whole year like I did when writing the first draft.

And speaking of all that work, here's the fruits of all my labor for chapter 5 of To Slice The Sky as it stands now. And a bonus dog picture for missing last week.


C:\>05_Bright_Lights_Big_City

     Decker got off the train in Clonetown.
At TMZSQR Station he hopped on a line marked with a graffitied sign for, 'Destiny/Liberty Islands'. At the crowded outdoor train station, his new ocs adjusted to the lack of light pollution. Once he could see, it was obvious he was the only non-vat-grown human in the immediate area. After being bumped into and told "Go frag yourself,” and, “Stupid guvvy," so many times, Decker made himself as inconspicuous as possible.
There were no maps for this territory. GPS results came back with errors and it was too dark for satellite view. The closest Decker came to a layout of Clonetown's collapsed cityscape were pre-war maps. Since most of the Northeastern Megacity shown went underwater with the rise in sea level, the maps were good for nothing. Feeling a spirit of adventure overtake his feet, Decker downloaded a 4.5 rated cartography app and started walking.

     Half a pack of smokes later, Decker's current location was kilometers away from the station. Near the edge of Destiny Island, the bridge/tunnel/rail networks webbing across the 'Wail Zone' appeared on the self-drawing map. The streets were a jigsaw puzzle of fragmented concrete and toppled high rises.
In the darkened corners of each building, the same faces of several archetypes lived their lives like humanity amplified. Their feelings and reactions to the extreme conditions of a day in Ocean City were diverse. Wails of ecstasy and horror from every window echoed through the streets. All of their actions played out like a kinetoscope in flickering halogen light.
Glimmering across the waters, Ocean City’s towering grandeur mocked the clone's makeshift grid. It illuminated outdated billboards for Roplaxive products, vandalized and pasted with handmade fliers. An advert promising, 'cheap swill, cheap thrills,' at a bar called The Revolving Door, caught Decker's eye. Fortune had favored him with a place to grab a drink and rest his feet.

He stepped through the swinging door that used to be the hatchback of a ‘20s era Honda. Thirty mixed-congruous heads perked up at Decker in the doorway. After an awkward silence, Decker pulled a stool to the bar and ordered the advertised cheap swill. The noise in the room rose to hushed tones. The bartender grabbed a water spotted glass and poured Decker a rusty brown cup of unfiltered bitter. He slammed it down in front of Decker and said nothing. Abashed, Decker sat, mumbling out a hasty thanks.
     From Decker's right came a throaty combustion engine turning over that stood in as a laugh. A wall of a clone, tagged with scars from past stitch jobs, knocked back a shot of red-brown liquor followed by a long pull from a tin can fashioned into a mug. He wiped his lips with a massive arm covered in obvious synthetic flesh.
"They're afraid you're gonna start some skag. Even though I could crack you open like a glowstick if you did try anything stupid.” He belched like a champion. “A guvvy in Clonetown is never a good thing." The wall of a clone went for another drink, found his mug empty and wiggled it at the bartender. "I'd finish that beer and piss off to whatever island you came from," He shot Decker a, 'just try me,' look and resumed staring at the back bar wall. "If you know what's good for ya."
     Decker took a similar pull off his glass mug, winced, spun around and leaned against the bar. "You look kinda familiar. Aren’t you on Capital Punishment or Piss City or something?” That wasn’t on the list of things to say to someone that could twist your head off. “I ain't here to start anything, dude," He lit a cigarette. "I just wanted a drink, and to kick my feet up," Decker exhaled. "It's cool for guvvys to smoke in here, right?" He tried to catch the bartender's stink eye. The bartender slid him a cardboard coaster folded up at the corners in mock-up of an ashtray. "Thanks," Decker ashed his smoke and smirked at the tough guy like he wasn't about to deuce himself. The bar's volume went back to its usual level, figuring the phantom threat resolved.
     "What are you really here for?" The big guy moved a couple stools closer. Decker tensed at his approach, choking on his smoke. The clone scoffed.
     Decker's coughing fit subsided, "Well," *cough*, "back home, I used to look for work in bars," Decker's face soured after finishing his beer. "Tonight, just going where fortune moves me."
     "A bored guvvy, getting drunk on piss, and looking for work on the wrong side of the Bridgeover?" The clone gave Decker an ocular pat down, "You're not packing. You look useless in a fight. What kind of work could you even offer us?"
     "I'm a slicer." Decker felt like a devin saying that in this type of joint.
     The clone's hard features shifted in their quarry of a face. "Taps, get this punk another drink," He got up from his seat and moved into the sitting area. As an afterthought, he addressed Decker, "Stay here. Drink your beer. I've got someone who might find you interesting."
     Decker took the clone's new advice, opposed to making a mad dash through the Revolving Door and towards the rail lines. The clone talked with a guy in an open jumpsuit tied off around his waist. The second clone's weak chin, hidden under heavy black stubble, bobbed up and down in response to the big guy. His Heterochromia eyes locked with Decker's glowing ones. The two clones made their way back to the bar counter.
     "You've got weird eyes, guvvy," the new clone half-shouted over the din of the bar.
     "I was thinking the same about you, dude," Decker played social bomb diffuser with a smile. "What do they look like, anyway? I haven’t checked a mirror before since my new implants integra–"
     "Whoa, whoa, whoa, pump your brakes kiddo," The scruffy clone held out a halting palm. "New implants? Brawl17, this jaggoff sound like grade-A-whiz material to you?"
     Decker said, “Kiddo? When’s your fraggin’ spawn date?”
     Jigsaw-Puzzle Face screwed into an uglier sneer, "Probably one of them--whatever ya call 'em--darwins or some stupid guvvy word."
     "Devins?" Brawl17 shrugged.
     "What? No, I'm not some devin, hot from the corner shop. I mean, I did just get my new rig installed, but–-"
     "--Butbutbut,” Ugly waved off Decker, “shut it. I've got a serious to do that needs doing and I don't need some greenhorn–"
     "--Hey, I don't need to prove anything to you, dude.” Decker crossed his arms “You approached me. I was going to drink Clonetown's finest, provided by our friend Taps," Decker motioned to the barkeep. "And maybe try to make a skag day, kinda okay." Decker took the last drag of his cigarette and downed the bottom half of his glass. His health widget assured him the new nanobots swimming in his bloodstream were breaking down carcinogens. An uncontrolled belch came out with a cloud of smoke as he pinched the cherry into the glass.
     Brawl17 cleared the air with a wave of his catcher mitt hand, "We might be a little over hostile.” Brawl17's glare caused his companion to straighten out its DNA puzzlebox face. "Since we're trying to conduct business, maybe all parties should be properly introduced."
     "Call me, Sweeps." Blenderface extended a calloused hand that Decker shook.
     "Decker," PheroTone labeled Sweeps' state as apprehensive optimism. Decker turned his gaze towards Brawl17, labled with cagey, "So big fella, if you don't mind me asking, what's with the seventeen?"
     "There were sixteen of my template that couldn't stay alive." The conversation in the room died for a moment at the end of the sentence. The next song cued up on the jukebox. "Well fifteen. Apparently the first one was too much trouble and was sent to The Colony." Static hummed and crackled giving way to a pulsing heartbeat, screaming and psychedelic rock.
     It clicked in Decker’s head, "That's where I've seen you. Fragging Capital Punishment. I think he goes by Bronson now."
     "Good to know, if I ever get sent West."
"What about you Sweeps?" Decker braced himself.
     "Custodian. Gene trash division, organic matter reclamation."
     "You guys really need to brighten up," A nervous laugh from Decker.
     "I'm not sure if you've noticed but clones don't really get a fair shake around this city," Sweeps mismatched features mocked glibness.
     Decker tried to get comfortable on his stool, "So, like, are we going to spare me the sob story and to get to the job? I was already given the idea it'd be smart for me to take myself back to the Bridgeover and get the frag outta town."
     "The sob story is the job," Sweeps stared hard into Decker's bored face. "They're glowing blue behind skag brown, b-t-dub."
     "What is?" Decker cocked his head.
     "Your eyes. You asked and we got sidetracked. If you ask me something, I'll supply the answer for you. I'm not the type to do things half assed, I wasn't grown that way." Sweeps straightened up a little and leaned in, "We, the clones, we need a voice. Something to unite us and hopefully shake things up. We need something to connect us in the way the guvvies have the net. Where we can communicate off the grid with clones from across the continent."
     "We heard about the demonstrations back west," Brawl17 added. "They give us hope that it’s bad enough all over, and maybe we’ll have the balls to stand up for a change."
     Decker's mind sprang to life with the saplings of a dozen methods. He sat there half grinning like an idiot before he caught himself, "How much can you pay?"
     "The movement is small at the moment," Sweeps said, cautious optimism lingering in his pheromone cloud.
     Decker's body language closed off. "I'm guessing not many other slicers come happening upon Clonetown dives."
     "You are quite the anomaly," Brawl17 said.
     "I can supply you with materials, salvage, slag, whatever you need.” Sweeps said, “The main thing it needs to be is stealthy as frag. If any one of us gets caught with this deal, it's over."
     "Then I guess when we find out the final shape, you can instruct all your clonedrones the importance of shoving things up their cakeholes to avoid detection." Decker ordered another beer once Taps made the mistake of looking in his direction.
     "I hope you're joking because you lack perspective on the gravity of our plight," Brawl17 said.
     "I'm joking because, while free materials are nice, my time still isn't for free. I do have day jobs, plural, I need to show up to if I plan on keeping creds in my pocket." Decker shifted positions again. “Jobs that questions will be asked if I go missing from. Then a team of corporate lawyers are gonna jump up my cakehole and sue the skag out of me for contract breach. It would be nice to have a little something up front to defend against unknowns.”
     Brawl17 nodded. Sweeps looked cross, "As of now, you're little more than some guvvy talking big. You said you're a slicer, we need something sliced and we intend on being very accommodating."
     "Creds," Decker wouldn't move.
     Sweeps sighed, "It always comes down to currency with you people, doesn't it?"
     Decker screwed his face, "In terms of providing goods and services? Yes, the world unfortunately takes currency to grease it along. It's not a perfect system, but it's the one we got. Now, creds."
     "10,000," Sweeps let it hang in the boisterous air.
     "Not to sound ungrateful, but you are asking me to put myself at great risk on many fronts. I know nothing of clone physiology, going to take some time just looking for an infodump zip on the subject that won’t signal any red flags upon download."
     "10,000 credits as an investment. You'll still receive all the supplies you need for free. Our limited network will work on acquiring knowledge through information fences, but that could cut into your final sum of 35k."
     "I'll just bill you," Decker said, "no sense stepping backwards and paying for something we can get on our own."
     "So then, do we have an agreement?" Sweeps extended his hand for another shake.
     "10k up front, 25 later, and free slag to build a clonenet, or whatever you’ll call it," Decker said.
     "That's what it sounds like." Brawl17 leaned back on the bar.
     "Then you have yourselves a slicer." Decker shook Sweeps' hand, not knowing what he just got himself into.

*

     Decker hated Mondays. He was always off shift at SBUX, but it was when he received his assignments for the week at Roplaxive. Running pen tests against a system he mostly built was exactly the type of bulltaco work Decker went out of his way to avoid. Each day was an endless bout of pretending he didn’t already know the backdoors he wrote into a cyberspace diamond sheathed fortress during the last month.
     SBUX shifts during the rest of the week were harder and faster than the SFV818. Most of Ocean City felt empty, but areas where people condensed themselves where condensed clusters that rose through the clouds. The TMZSQR SBUX encompassed floors three through five of Star Junction Tower. Decker would find himself on any one of those three floors working x number of positions for y number of scheduled or unscheduled hours. Chaz “Just Chaz” always had a way of getting the staff to help out during their breaks.
     B.Trix set him up. She left a comment on his transfer profile about what a hard worker he was and “Just Chaz” took that skag to heart. Decker ended up about as far from the espresso bar as possible, slumming with the undocumented clone help SBUX denied having at 'all' their locations.
     He befriended a couple of tekhed clones on the wash/bus staff named Fixer and Breaker. They'd been leftovers from a small time electronics manufacturer who couldn't afford the gross they ordered, because no one knew how much a gross is. The duo escaped into Clonetown and currently wash dishes and bus tables respectively. At least in their daily lives.

*

     Over the weeks, Fixer and Breaker had broken into Decker’s heart and home. Breaker assured Decker the home part was just testing how much Roplaxive cares about employee security.
     “Not enough,” Decker sighed as he soldered a chip back onto a ‘smart’ phone motherboard. He listened to the Theta-wave Binaural beats on the headphones that hack doctor prescribed for him. As if his cochlea, studded in microscopic speaker arrays, didn’t produce lifeperfect sound. He plugged the phone into a USB adaptor running out of his Minjung-Ui Him palmtop.
     Fixer and Breaker became instrumental to the darknet. They filled Decker in on the importance of their cranial 'slave chips' and how much it dictates their functionality. That led to a grim request for thousands of discarded clone biochips, delivered by Sweeps, for Decker’s research. So far, Decker had no fragging clue how to interrupt a control frequency and create a direct link like a primitive graybox.
     “Well skag, bud. Why don’t ya daisy chain all those phones together through the old cell towers, I’m sure like, one of them is still working.” Fixer rolled his eyes.
     “Well skag, bud,” Decker mocked, “Why don’t you come up with a fraggin’ idea then?” He flung the Nokia made brick at a wall. Nothing happened to the phone but its faceplate flying under the bed.
     “Hey, whoa, Decks, chill bud,” Breaker said. “Fixer was just being, ya know, Fixer.”
     “I like being me,” Fixer shrugged.
     “Well you’re fraggin’ lucky I like you,” Decker gave Fixer a death gaze, “not a jury in Ocean City would convict me.”
     Fixer cleared his throat and looked away when Decker’s face didn’t soften.
     “So, should we order in tonight?” Breaker replaced Fixer’s face from Decker’s view with the exact same face. “I’m feeling spicy, how about Mexican?”
     “Ugh, frag no,” Decker switched out of his diagnostic reader to his base HUD. “The Mexican food here sucks worse than my last boyfriend.” Decker removed his static free gloves and sheathed the soldering iron into his multi-tool. “How about Thai?” Decker set his headphones down with the rest of his gear.
     “I’m sick of Thai. You always choose Thai.” Fixer said, slipping on Decker’s headphones to block any incoming rebukes.
     Breaker looked like had an epiphany, “Buds, I got it.”
     “What?” The other two said in unison.
     “Barbeque.” Breaker said with a nod. Everyone agreed.

     They waited for their food courier, even though they could have built something in the MR. Trip came home so they tacked a last minute order onto the bill, extending the wait time. Fixer was faking Tai Chi with an instructional holo in the living area as Breaker fiddled with the castaway phone Decker had put back together. Trip laid slumped on the couch while Decker paced about the common area, muttering to himself.
     Chirps, alarms, vamps, and samples played themselves in varying lengths from Breaker’s direction. He scrolled through each ringtone--one by one--with glee. With each new sound snippet, the aggravation of the other living room dwellers rose another notch. Since there wasn’t anything else to do, they tolerated it. Fixer most of all, with Decker’s headphones on.
     “I think these Theta-waves are really getting me in tune with my inner soul chakras, or something.” Fixer moved into Mountain greets the Dawn. “I can just turn off my mind, relax, and float downstream.” Fixer waggled his hands like a wave.
     “My stomach chakra is open and needs to be filled.” Trip said. A flock of seagulls cawed over his voice.
     “Who the frag wants seagulls as a ring tone?” Decker leaned over the back of the couch. “And where the frag is the delivery dude? I’m almost ready to use the fragging MR.”
     Breaker happened onto the screeching sound of a phone line dying. “Whoa, how awful yet cool at the same time.”
     As Breaker spoke, all three of them looked to see Fixer, drooling from his mouth and spasming on the ground in a seizure. Breaker threw the phone, still repeating its terrible howl, “Fixer, what’s wrong buddy?” Breaker clutched his twin’s hand.
     Trip rolled off the seat into action mode, checking Fixer’s mismatched pupils as they rolled back into his head. Decker grabbed the phone, silencing the ‘Dial-Up’ sound and Trip swiped the headphones from the clone’s head.
     It was a heavy moment staring at the whites of Fixer’s eyes. “You have a caller,” followed by some Spaced out gal saying, “Rory’s Rib Shack. Food’s here,” punctuated the tension.
     “I’ll get the door,” Decker said as Fixer’s iris rolled back into view, “Where’s the corporate card?”
     Trip pointed off to the kitchen with a grunt. He pulled his mobile from his pocket, shining its light into Fixer’s face, “You back with us, guy?”
     Fixer’s twisted away from the light, rubbing his face with his hands. Breaker fished for the discarded headphones, “What the frag caused you to mezz out like that?” Breaker cautiously put an earpiece to his head. All he heard was a singular, pure tone.
     Decker tipped the courier chick then maneuvered a meter-high stack of Old American cuisine onto the kitchen island. “You with us Fix?”
     “I think I’m gonna hurl,” was all Fixer could manage. Trip scooted away from splash distance.
     “What happened to you, dude?” Decker flipped on his biosigns widget, scanning for any abnormalities in Fixer’s state. “You were going all Man of Tai Chi, then seized up.” Something seemed different about Fixer’s head, but Decker couldn’t put his finger on it.
     “If he had an epileptic episode, I doubt he’s going to remember much.” Trip snapped.
     Breaker looked up at the headphones then the cellphone Decker had left on the couch. He silently sat on the couch, placed the Binaural beats over his ears and pressed play next to “Modem”.
EEEEEEEEEEWAWAWAWABRRRRRR*static*BWONGwangawang*static*
     It was Breaker’s turn to shake and spaz in a fit. The other three stared in shock.
     Trip moved Breaker on his back, “Decker, if these two don’t stop trying to kill themselves in our apartment, there’s going to be a no clone rule.”
     “Dude, shut off the phone.” Decker said, rushing to across the floorplan, “It’s that fraggin’ ringtone.”
     Trip and Decker pried the phone from Breaker’s deathgrip and stopped the horrid screams of data being transferred via phone line. Decker took back his prescription headphones before they could harm anyone else. Fixer hovered over Breaker as he returned to consciousness.
     “That…” Breaker exhaled, “sucked.”
     “Why did you do that?” Fixer said, “I doubt it looked like fun when it happened to me.”
     Decker, the world still an X-Ray overlay on his natural vision, saw something blank out from Breaker’s skull, making him identical to Fixer, if not for implant locations.
     “BRB,” Decker said and bolted off to his room. The three guys in the living room stared at him like a sideshow oddity. Decker skipped back with a control rod in his hand. Fixer and Breaker recoiled when he aimed it at them.
     “Quick, give me your batch number.” He demanded. Black death tube bobbing in the clone’s faces.
     “What? Frag off,” They said in unison.
     “Just trust me,” Decker didn’t look any less menacing.
     Fixed sighed and rattled off his batch number. Decker flicked the thumbwheel to select the frequency, and pressed the punishment button with a mad look in his eye.
     Fixer flinched, used to the feeling of an electric knife skull-fragging him at the touch of a button. He unclenched his eyes to see Decker still jamming on the control rod.
     Breaker beamed in delight, “Ooooh, neat. Now do me! Do me!” he clapped his hands and squeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment